Trying to think of better excuses since 1995

Halfass header image 2

Boudin King, Boudin Capital of the Universe

May 9th, 2003 · 69 Comments

Louisiana is its own planet.

Many people go to New Orleans. It’s a cultural force all its own and an amazing city: probably one of the greatest cities in the world. It’s bustling tourism and convention business sustain a steady flow of travelers, and its fairly long list of educational institutions provide the city with “second home” status to a large number of former students, who eternally return for a taste of the good stuff.

My friend Jon, who lives in a wonderful little neighborhood called the Treme, is a truly great New Orleans resource. He’s plugged in with locals, relishes new experiences and has little tolerance for those whe are faking the funk. With him, we’ve discovered some amazing New Orleans restaurants, most of which are not anywhere near the tourist districts. For those who want to know, the best restaurant in New Orleans is Jacque-Imo’s, run by the frenetic Jack Leonardi

But Louisiana is a lot more than New Orleans. Probably the single-most talked-about component of New Olreans is its food, which can be spectacular. Generally speaking, New Olreans has its own cuisine, distinct from the rest of the state—a wonderful blend of French, Spanish, Carribean, Soul Food and other cuisines into its own special concoction. This is usually called “Creole.” People often go to New Orleans, sample some tourist food and then declare that they love Cajun Food. I say this because I was guilty of the same offense before I became a frequent Louisiana visitor: Cajuns don’t live in New Orleans. Sure, there are exceptions, but true Cajun lands spread out in Southwest Louisiana, west of the Atchafalaya River from New Orleans. It is only there, that you will find “true” Cajun food. What’s more, there are just about as many kinds of Cajun dishes as there are Cajun cooks. Probably the best food to be had is only served in homes. Despite that, Cajun country has thousands of local restaurants, and in the vast world of Cajun cookery, few places on Earth can match Boudin King of Jennings, Louisiana for sheer authenticity and quality of food.

boudin king's sign

Boudin King wins the boudin competition hands down, in my and my wife’s opinion. Others pull for various other places. Most people in my wife’s family claim the superiority of the boudin from Strohe’s Meat Market. But before I get into the debates about the best boudin, let me first tell those who do not know, what it is.

Boudin is a luscious sausage made from the pork and the various innards of pigs, rice and, according to the maker, various herbs and spices all cased in rinsed and cooked pig intestine. Usually a purveyor of boudin will offer a mild and a spicy variety. Additionally, they will likely offer many other nuggets of boudin-y goodnes such as fried boudin balls. Many boudin restaurants have a drive-up window, and boudin is often eaten with your fingers: simply bite off one end and squeeze bite-fulls of the stuff into your mouth at will. The casing is either eaten or discarded; there’s no correct way to do that. And most importantly, it is pronounced: “boo-dan.”

Just about everybody eats it. We saw a prom-bound boy in a tuxedo picking up boudin to go. One sees teenagers standing roadside with a gray sausage in their fist, gesticulating wildly to one another—no doubt extolling the virtues of such a perfect food.

Cajun food is not fancy food. But when done right, it is all about local ingredients and pragmatic technique. A recent New Yorker article about some New Yorkers cruising around Southwest Louisiana looking for the perfect Boudin with their buddy from Southwest Louisiana was amazing to see, but their search was meager and their friend had no taste, as is evidenced by this little tale:

Their friend, who visits NYC with a suitcase full of boudin and other ingredients with which to cook up giant Cajun feasts for his city-slicker pals, put cream of mushroom soup in his Etouffe. While this may be done on a “down and dirty” basis, or even as a quick supper, this is NOT the way real Etouffe is made and just proves that their verdict from the Boudin Search had no legitimacy. That, and the fact that they failed to even visit Boudin King or Strohe’s.

As to who has the best, I can’t claim a lot of authority. I didn’t grow up eating the stuff, and I’ve only had a hand full of the various purveyors’s offerings. But I can pronounce a couple of judgments. First, I’ve never had good boudin outside of Louisiana. Some boudin that I got in Seattle was not even boudin at all, and the Cajun restaurant boudin I’ve eaten all over the country is always bad. Second, I’ve never had good boudin outside of Cajun country. New Orleans doesn’t even have it, so why would the rest of the world?

To get good boudin, you’ve got to be in Cajun country. Of all of the Cajun Country boudin I’ve sampled, two of the best come from around Lake Arthur, Louisiana.

strohe's meat market

First up, is Strohe’s Meat Market in Welsh, Louisiana. This is very much the real deal. The market is attached to the sties in which the hogs are kept. One can bring your own livestock to this place and have it made into special treats of your design. It’s so authentically great in all respects. Strohe’s Boudin seems to be a bit more Germanic in its inspirations. It’s meaty, thick, and just loose enough to be pulled out of the casing with your teeth. Its flavor is mild, even when ordered spicy, and it’s more about the quality of the meat than most other varieties. Strohe’s doesn’t move a lot of boudin. It’s only a secondary product for them among many other wonderful products. Hillary swears by the hog’s head cheese, but I’ve yet to sample it.

Second, and far more popular regionally, is Boudin King, founded by the late Ellis Cormier. Boudin King became so popular that Jennings, Louisiana was officially declared “Boudin Capital of the Universe” by the State of Louisiana. The reasons for the popularity are overwhelmingly justified. First, the authenticity of this product is evident. The restaurant is a small, low-slung, dive-type operation, compete with Mister Cormier’s hunting and fishing trophies and a special parking space, which reads “reserved for the Queen’s Carriage,” in which only Ellis Cormier’s wife can park. The steady streams of customers are of all classes, genders, sizes and colors. All are united in their love for boudin. The drive-up window is always occupied, and the sheer amount of boudin coming out of this place is astonishing. The greatest justification is, however, the boudin itself.

sign at boudin king

Boudin King’s boudin is more rice-oriented, like a rice dressing stuffed inside of a sausage casing. The spices and herbs are kicked up a notch (though not hot), and the flavors are more unified. The extra rice makes this one a bit more fun to eat for those uninitiated into the wonders of pork innards.

Boudin King is so popular that the brand has spread to other cities. Don’t be fooled. The real deal is in Jennings. Just pay a visit to these friendly folks and enjoy:

boudin king!

You’ll see various modifications and derivative works in the boudin world, from crawfish boudin (delicious, but not really boudin) to the unbelievable (in the true sense of the word), deep fried, seafood boudin po boy that Jon took us to witness in Metarie. For those who didn’t catch that, let me explain. It’s a piece of French bread that has been hollowed out and then stuffed with seafood boudin (probably ground pork, shrimp and rice). The whole thing is then dipped in batter, deep fried, and then served with a special remoulade and fries.

Yup, Louisiana is another planet.

Tags: Food and Cooking · New Orleans · Sausage · Travel

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 FREDERICK // Aug 9, 2003 at 11:12 pm

HOW DO I GET A FRANCHISE WITH BOUDIN KING…I LIVE IN SAN ANTONIO TX…AM FROM OBERLIN, LA….APPRECIATE ANY HELP///

• 2 Chris // Aug 10, 2003 at 10:27 am

Frederick,

Please send $250 for a starter kit to:

Chris Wilson
    9…...

haha

• 3 frederick // Aug 10, 2003 at 11:31 am

please remove the comment for Boudin King franchise….thanks

• 4 ROBERT CRABTREE // Aug 19, 2003 at 10:44 pm

I LIVE IN ALBUQUERQUE NM AND THEY DON’T HAVE
    ALOT OF BOUDIN HERE EXCEPT AT PAPPADEAUX’S. I HAVE HAD YOUR BOUDIN WHEN I LIVED IN HOUSTON AND IT WAS EXCELLENT. I WAS WONDERING IF YOUR BOUDIN COULD BE BOUGHT OVER THE INTERNET ?

• 5 Chris // Aug 21, 2003 at 3:34 pm

I would be happy to ship you some of my top-quality boudin. Please email me your credit card number and I’ll get it out right away.

• 6 Leah // Sep 24, 2003 at 3:55 pm

I’m with you on the mushroom soup shortcut, but several good friends who are Cajun and from around Lafayette swear by it. Mushroom soup seems to be the staple in the cupboard that everything can be built off of. In fact, when I described a recipe that I used for crawfish etouffe that was completely from scratch, they nearly fell over laughing to think I had put so much work into it. They also had good things to say about the boudin spots in the NYer article, but of course that’s their region.

• 7 victoria morse // Oct 27, 2003 at 6:42 pm

could you please e-mail me a price list on the boudin? i lived in la. for 15 years. and now i have been in ga. for the last ten. i do not get to go home much. could you also let me know how i could get some crawfish and crabs? the guy in new orleans was way to high. i also do not have a credit card , but would jump at the chance to send you amoney order. missing food from home and thank you,vickie

• 8 D.A. Julius // Nov 25, 2003 at 12:56 pm

I’m from St. Louis, MO. but lived and worked on towboats running the intercoastal canal through Southwest LA. I’ve eaten Boudin from just about every little shop you can think of in that part of the country and I have to admit that the “Boudin King” has some of the best Boudin around. I really like the flavor. However, my vote for the best Boudin I’ve ever had is from a small country meat market outside of Scott, LA called, “The Best Stop”. Just up the road, (I-10), due east of Welsch, LA. but before you get to Lafayette, LA. If I remeber right It’s exit 100 and the store is about 1 mile north of Interstate 10. This place has the Best Smoked Boudin You’ll ever eat. It’s alot like the Boudin in Welsch with more meat and less rice than the “Boudin King” Boudin. Stop in and try it sometime. “The Best Stop”, You’ll be glad you did!

• 9 Bob Hebert // Dec 4, 2003 at 12:43 pm

Anyone who is truly serious about boudin should pay attention to the post by JULIUS (11/25/03). He may be an outsider, but he knows the inside truth. Locals know that THE BEST STOP in Scott is the only place to go. Their boudin in non pareil. There used to be gas pumps in front of the store, but the owners took the gas pumps out because they limited parking space. Everybody goes for the boudin, not to put gas in their tanks.

• 10 Christy // Dec 4, 2003 at 2:21 pm

I went to college in Lake Charles. My favorite boudin (although I have not tried the others mentioned here) is from the Market Basket grocery store on Nelson Lane in south Lake Charles. It has shredded pork, not ground and the seasoning is perfect. They also offer a smoked version. I usually pick up 10 lbs to bring back to Metaire to eat, freeze and share.

• 11 Scotty The Body // Dec 4, 2003 at 3:03 pm

I’m getting A LOT of props for The Best Stop. I was just in Lafayette, and they all said The Best Stop. So I’ve GOT to try it! Sounds like we may get a new “King?”

BTW, I ate 3 pounds of Boudin King during my 2 day stay in Lafayette!

• 12 bothra // Dec 17, 2003 at 8:45 pm

Yea boy that best stop boudin is the best in the state. I grew up outside of lafayette, try their cracklin and fresh sausage too. They also sell their cookbook with many great recipes. The only way to get them to ship is to call in an order, and it is pricey, but well worth it if you want some great eats.

• 13 Steven K. // Jan 7, 2004 at 2:23 pm

I just brought back to Houston 10Lbs of Boudin King’s(Jennings, La.) Boudin. I had to procure 2extra-Lbs, just so the 10Lbs would make it to Webster Texas.

I have been eating Jennings Bk’s, since I was Knee-High to a Duck, pert near to a Rat’s Anckle.
    Which makes it some time ago, I am 6’4” tall.

You got to try their Red Beans and Smoked Sausage!
    You are going to hurt yourself, with pleasure eating their food!!

• 14 AustinTX via OpelousasLA // Jan 13, 2004 at 3:34 pm

I pick up at least 20lbs of Boudin anytime I pass through Jennings. It’s the ONLY boudin i’ll eat, plus all my friends who get the handouts love it too.
    Be sure to say hello to Mrs. Cormier and the staff when you’re there.

• 15 Keese, Steven P. // Feb 23, 2004 at 1:02 pm

I lost out!!
    (My own fault)
    I went to N’Awlns for Mardi Gras(Feb20-22). Stopped off at Jennings Boudin King, with My Son and his Girlfriend and only eat 2lbs a piece and only pick up 5LBs, expecting to put this dispute to rest on who has the best Boudin:
    Best Stop in Scott LA. / Boudin King in Jennings La.

I got Lost!!
    (I did not have the map with me:
    Went down La91, 92Ml marker exit 95)
    Now I am 5Lbs short and the dispute is still going on..
    Guess I will have to try again, in a month..
    (Got me some King Cake):
    Traditional, CreamCheese filled, Cherry&CreamCheeses Filled..

• 16 Bob Hebert // Feb 26, 2004 at 4:52 pm

Steve, you took a wrong turn. You need to turn off 1-10 at Exit 97 (LA Hwy 93). If you’re coming from Texas, Scott will be on your right (south of I-10), but to get to the Best Stop, you should turn left (north), cross over I-10 and head toward Cankton. The Best Stop will be on your left as you head north, not more than a mile or so from the exit. The “Stop” is a one-story brick building with red trim. It looks like a run-down convenience store/gas station (with the gas pumps removed). I’ve never been there when there aren’t cars parked in front. If you have the stomach for it, don’t miss the cracklin’s, too!

• 17 Steven K. // Mar 4, 2004 at 1:25 pm

Thanx Bob..
    Looks like I will have to wait till Apr. 3, to try it out.
    My lucky bean will have to do it’s blessing for another year. I will not make it to St. Joe’s Day Mar. 19-20 at St. Joseph Church 1802 Tulane Ave. N’Awlns.

I have had a Lucky Bean in my pocket, for 42 Years, I have had many Lucky beans from many homes when I was growing up in the Garden District, of N’Awlns..

• 18 Steven K. // Mar 22, 2004 at 7:57 am

Mythbusted:
    10LBs of Spicy Boudin, from Best Stop Scott, La.
    10LBs of (Smoked)Spicy Boudin, from Best Stop Scott, La.
    10LBs of Spicy Boudin, from Boudin King Jennings, La.
    (You cannot smoke Boudin King’s Boudin, because the rice will absorb the smoke and all you will taste is “Intensified Smoke”) – This has been tested before.

12 Judges(All Boudin Lovers, eat it once a month / more)Comments:
    10LBs of Spicy Boudin, from Best Stop Scott, La.:
    ·Taste like turkey, where is the spices, not packed very well, full of grease, not spicy.(100% disliked)
    10LBs of (Smoked)Spicy Boudin, from Best Stop Scott, La.:
    ·Taste like (Smoked)Turkey, Smoke added to the spices, Casing has shrunk Boudin is packed very well, less of grease and meat has staid moist, not spicy.(70% liked the smoke taste(Wish for more spice), 25% liked the smoke taste, 5% disliked)
    10LBs of Spicy Boudin, from Boudin King Jennings, La.:
    ·Taste like Boudin, wish there was a way to lightly smoke it(Smoke would add to this boudin -Smoke the meats before packing) added to the spices, Casing has snap when you bite it(Best Stop(Smoked)Spicy has when smoked), Boudin is packed very well, less of grease and meat has staid moist, Like the blend of spices. .(90% liked the it the way it is, 10% liked the it the way it is(Wish there was a way to smoke it without destroying the rice).
    Conclusion to this hypothesis:
    10LBs of Spicy Boudin, from Best Stop Scott, La.:
    ·Never again
    10LBs of (Smoked)Spicy Boudin, from Best Stop Scott, La.:
    ·I have tasted better boudin, will stop to try other things / to pickup (Smoked)Spicy Boudin, since you cannot smoke Boudin King’s Spicy Boudin.
    10LBs of Spicy Boudin, from Boudin King Jennings, La.:
    ·You have competition, but not from Best Stop. I have heard of a Boudin shop south west of Crowley La., in a town named Tortue(French, for Turtle) La. Has the best Boudin in the world. Back to Best Stop – I will stop to try other things / to pickup (Smoked)Spicy Boudin, since you cannot smoke Boudin King’s Spicy Boudin.

• 19 Scott Partee // Mar 22, 2004 at 11:57 am

So there we have it! Boudin King reigns supreme. For now!

Thanks for the hard work and research!

• 20 Anonymous // Mar 27, 2004 at 2:04 pm

I have to agree that the boudin at the Boudin King is SINFULLY delicious. I will NOT pass up a chance to fill up my gullet every time I get within 200 miles of Jennings. 5 stars all the way. But, as a cajun from Opelousas now living in New Mexico, I must tell you about the ONLY place that tops Boudin King for boudin is Billy and Ray’s Grocery in Opelusas.
    They have two styles of boudin, one from Billy (the new owner), and the BEST boudin in the universe (sorry, BK!), Ray’s recipe.
    Ray had the place for around 35 years. I remember eating his boudin as a kid in the late 60’s, and it spolied me for life. Although Billy’s recipe is fine, you MUST ask for Ray’s version. The original owner, Ray Hidalgo, sold the place a few years ago. The late Justin Wilson, being interviewed on Tex Brashear’s “Off the Beaten Path” radio and television show, called Ray’s boudin, “a little slice of heaven”. Later, when Brashear called Ray’s “A Legend in Hot Boudin”, Ray’s picked up the motto and used it, and even incorporated it into their now famous logo (see pic on website). For my money, Ray’s boudin edges out Boudin King, but I’ll NEVER no to boudin from Boudin King!

• 21 Steven K. // Apr 12, 2004 at 9:25 am

Thank You, I will be heading to Billy’s and Ray’s Grocery on Vine St., on my way to 182, then to 749 and then to 103 to the City of Ville Platte. I was told they have the best “Boudin Capital of the Universe” Boudin.
    I’s got to know!! I turn 50 this April 14, 2004. Somebody is lying!!
    I aim’s to find out..!!

• 22 Scott Partee // Apr 12, 2004 at 4:39 pm

In a very, very promising turn of event, my mother’s father just purchased a home in Jennings, LA.

In addition to getting it for about one third of the asking price, the home is situated less than ONE MILE from BOUDIN KING!

Go H.’s Dad!

• 23 brandon s. // May 6, 2004 at 11:02 pm

boudin king is the best I have ever had and I hope one day I can learn the secret to your boudin

• 24 Anne LeJeune Davis // May 10, 2004 at 8:08 pm

I am from a place in Louisiana called Estherwood, La. It is between Crowley and Jennings. They both have Boudin king, Cajun Way franchises. We would go to Crowley. I love their boudin. I have been eating it since before I can remember. We would eat it with Evangeline Maid bread and Cajun Way’s signature onion rings. It was awesome. I live in Mississippi now that my husband is in the Air Force. We go there to visit family and get the seafood platter, gumbo and red beans and rice. We get boudin to go. I agree about the ettouffe. I used to make it with cream of mushroom, because I thought it was quicker. It isn’t. You just put some flour or carnstarch in to thicken it after sautee’ing the onions, garlic and greenpeppers. The crawfish give most of the flavoring, but remember, lots of onions. Cajuns love their onions. It is much better. Don’t forget the Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning and the Cajun Power Sauce. They never fail… Hope this helps…

• 25 Anne LeJeune Davis // May 10, 2004 at 8:13 pm

I have eaten Best Stop in Scott, Comeaux’s boudin in Lafayette, and some from a place named LeJeune’s in New Iberia. Best Stop is close second for me, but some people in my family like it more than Boudin King. Comeaux’s would be the next up.

• 26 kristi // Jun 8, 2004 at 10:45 pm

Please email me some information on your boudin. I am interested in finding out where it is sold and how to get some in Houston,TX….have had some years ago and loved it!!!!

• 27 Steven K. // Jun 15, 2004 at 8:50 am

Scott P., I will try to help Kristi out.

Kristi, You have Mail..

• 28 Connie J Guillot // Jun 23, 2004 at 2:03 pm

I live outside of Houston and Love your Boudin. It’s the best I’ve ever had and I was raised in LA. I would greatly appreciate it if I could purchase some directly from you. We are having a Mardi Gras Party the 4th of July and would like to serve your Boudin as the specialty. My email is conniejguillot@hotmail.com, just let me know the cost and I’ll email you my credit card info. Thanks for helping!!!

• 29 Angelia Doyle // Jun 23, 2004 at 10:09 pm

I grew up in Jennings eating Boudin King boudin. It’s the best I’ve ever had. I now live in Austin, TX, and I would like to find out if Boudin King ships boudin out of state.

• 30 lSheik // Jun 28, 2004 at 8:23 pm

Scott I enjoyed your article about The Boudin King but it would have been more helpful and respectful if you would have spelled the late Ellis Cormier’s name right. It is Cormier not Courmier, and Strohe’s is closer to Roanoke, La. than to Welsh, La.(Not Welsch like you wrote.) No wonder the people got lost looking for the place. I’lm originally from Jennings and am biased to Boudin King, but there are beacoup places around Acadiana that are just as good or better. Keep an eye out for my book that gives a comprehensive listing of the best Boudin in Lousiana. sincerely Chris Leonard

• 31 Scott Partee // Jun 28, 2004 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for writing, Chris. I can’t wait to read your book! Shoot me a note when it’s complete/published.

Corrections that you pointed out have been made, with one exception. Strohe’s may be closer to Roanoke, but the label said “Welsh,” so I’m sticking to it.

My wife’s family has a farm in Thornwell, about two miles from Strohe’s, so I know exactly where it is, but couldn’t tell you how to get there from anywhere else…

In really, really positive developments, my wife’s father just purchased a home less than one mile from the Jennings Boudin King. I’m crappin’ in tall cotton!

• 32 Steven K. // Jul 9, 2004 at 9:21 am

Scott P., I am Hoping Chris Leonard is going to send you a book free of charge.
    I also hope Chris Leonard post when the book is out for publication.

Scott P., I will wait for your review of this book, before I procure..

• 33 Jennifer // Jul 13, 2004 at 6:23 pm

From a member of your wife’s family…I prefer Boudin King to Strohe’s too meaty boudin.

• 34 S. J. Benoit, formerly Choupique, Louisiana...now East Tennessee // Aug 3, 2004 at 3:10 am

Thank God that someone has taken the time to straighten out to the rest of the world on the fact that just because something has Cajun written on it and is over-spiced with cayenne pepper that it is truly Cajun food. There is no doubt that Boudin King and Cajun Way restaurants are the real deal and you’ll not find better Cajun cookin’ anywhere in the Universe.
    Laissez les bon ton roullet.

• 35 Beth Bowling(formerly of DeRidder and Welch) now in Michigan // Jan 5, 2005 at 4:15 pm

I lived in Louisiana about 25 years ago, I have never forgotten the wonderful boudin from the Boudin King in Jennings. I’d sure love to know how to go about ordering some from there! If anyone knows I can do that, please, by all means, let me know! I never liked to eat much till I tasted the flavors of the cajun way. Email me info at ConcreteAngel959@sbcglobal.net.Could you send me the list of items available with prices?

• 36 Paul Marx // Feb 21, 2005 at 8:01 am

If you enjoy a good variety of music “with a Louisiana flavor”, give us a listen, in the local are at 101.FM and on the web at http://www.kbon.com

KBON FACTS:

• KBON 101.1FM was the first major radio station to promote Louisiana recording artists everyday; “variety with a Louisiana flavor” as part of the regular daily format. Our main goal is to help preserve the unique Cajun & Creole music and culture of our area. Our slogan, which all “on-air” personnel sign off with, is “LET US, BEFORE WE DIE, GATHER UP OUR HERITAGE & OFFER IT TO OUR CHILDREN”.
    • KBON 101.1FM (http://www.kbon.com) is one of the most listened to radio stations in the world on the internet.
    • KBON 101.1FM studios in Eunice, Louisiana is probably the most visited radio station in the world. Thousands of people from around the world have come to tour the station and enjoy it’s antiques, artifacts and the famous “Wall of fame”.
    • KBON was also featured in The New York Times as well as receiving a four page feature story in Chile Peppers Magazine, plus magazines in France, Canada, and Germany, as well as having been featured in film news stories in Canada, France and Italy.
    • KBON was featured in The Washington Post as well as on the MSNBC website and in newspapers in Anchorage, Alaska, Atlantic City, N.J., Paradise, California, Palm Beach, Florida, Sarasota, Florida, Bradenton Florida, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Houston Chronicle, The Dallas Morning News, The New Orleans Times-Picayune, plus many more newspapers across the country, as well as a nice mention of what we are doing here at KBON in the National Geographic Travel Magazine.
    • LPB came to KBON Thursday, December 2nd and did some filming for a feature story on KBON which aired through-out Louisiana. We had guests musicians do live music in our studio that morning including Creole/Cajun musician Golden Thibodeaux, along with Jamie Bergeron and Coz Fontenot. The “jam session” included these musicians plus Jo Jo Reed and Mr. Freddie Hanks. We also all enjoyed a delicious gumbo cooked by Mr. Francis Pappillion.
    • KBON was featured in the Jan. 2005 edition of BILLBOARD RADIO MONITOR with an article titled
      “MEET THE RAGIN CAJUN OF RADIO”
      ***********************************************************************************************

“LOUISIANA. It’s more than just “a state”. It’s a way of life”!!!

Merci,

PAUL MARX
      Owner/General Manager
      101.1@kbon.com
      Ph.: 337-546-0007
      Fax: 337-546-0097
      Personal email: paul@kbon.com

• 37 Bob // Feb 22, 2005 at 10:27 pm

Hey Ya’ll: http://www.boudinlink.com is in the process of reviewing and rating ALL the boudin of South Louisiana. Check it out.

• 38 Nan McGraw // Mar 6, 2005 at 2:17 am

< !—spamk : Comment text: ‘Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to get boudin. My husband and I moved from Louisiana abotu 6 years ago…when we moved we bought 15 lbs of the boudin and ran out 6 years ago we have tried ordering the stuff offered online as well as some I found at a local market (HUGE MISTAKE). The stuff I found online was ok but not great, and the stuff I found at the butchers was something I wouldn’t even feed to a dead dog. If anyone knows where I can get some Boudin King sent to me PLEASE let me know. So hopefully the cravings will stop atleast for a day or so. Thanks

please email me at jnmcgraw@yahoo.com
    ’ matched ((holdem|texas|poker|casino|online|gambl|blackjack|game|free).*){2,}—>

please email me at jnmcgraw@yahoo.com

• 39 Malcolm Guidry // Apr 1, 2005 at 3:08 pm

I LOVE boudin!! I’m from Lafayette, La., and now live in White Plains, NY. Despite NYC having more restaurants per city block than probably any other city in America, you will never find authentic Cajun or Creole cuisine unless you visit Louisiana. And boudin, fuggitabouddit!! There is a restaurant in Grand Central Terminal called Two Boots that makes a killer crawfish pizza called the Bayou Blast. No pizza like NYC pizza!

• 40 Don Eason // Apr 22, 2005 at 11:50 am

Would like to order several pds.of boudin.From Lake Charles,now living in CA.Alot of want to be BOUDIN KINGS ,BUT YOURS IS THE BEST.Please send me info on how to order right away.I need it bad.What other great sausages to you have?

Thanks and God Bless You,
    Don Eason

• 41 Don Eason // Apr 22, 2005 at 11:56 am

HOW DO I GET A PRICE LIST ALSO?

• 42 scotty // Jun 6, 2005 at 10:34 am

By the way, here is a photograph of Strohe’s.

I’ve also finally tried Best Stop:

Photo One
    Photo Two
    Photo Three

My review is pending, but the summary is this: Boudin King still rules, but Best Stop is very special in its own way. The cracklings were amazing, and the boudin is like a well-spiced Cajun meatloaf in a casing—delicious!

• 43 "The Big D" Jeff // Jul 19, 2005 at 11:28 pm

The food on this area of Louisiana (Lake Arthur, Hayes, Welsh, etc.), is the absolute best in the state! Nothing beats a crawfish boil with the Berken Family, dinner at Nott’s, Dining at Harris’ in Hayes or at Cajuntales in Welsh. We are also very fond of the Boudin King! By the way, the best cracklins, hands down, are from Strohe’s.

• 44 mike kelley // Nov 22, 2005 at 1:47 pm

I am very serious about putting in a restaurant just like Boudin King. I would be more than willing to pay a fair price fortheir recipes. Any help you can give me in this regard would be greatly appreciated. I would appreciate it very much if you would call me at 936-344-6482 at your convenience. Thanking you in advance for any and all help.

• 45 dian // Jan 9, 2006 at 4:45 pm

how to i buy some of your boudin. My husband is from Houston and raves over this stuff. I’m from FL, didn’t have a clue. I would love to fill his canteen if possible. we currently are living in VA. where/how do I buy

• 46 Bean Ween // Jan 31, 2006 at 10:20 am

it’s really surprising to see such a response from “outsiders” (outside of south louisiana) commenting on our boudin. growing up in south louisiana boudin was a staple in the family’s diet but when i traveled to college (only 5 hours away) most people had never even heard of it. boudin is truly one of my favorite foods and i love trying new boudin’s from all across Acadiana. my friends and i make trips, called Boudin Runs, every few months to local meat markets who specialize in boudin and rate the boudin. i have to say that the Best Stop is one of our favorites but if you guys have never tried Charlie T’s in Breaux Bridge you are missing out. it has been hands-down the best boudin on the Boudin Trail.

OUR TOP 3 LINKS
    1. Charlie T’s
    2. Poche’s
    3. The Best Stop

check out: http://www.boudinlink.com
    and coming soon http://www.boudinrun.com

• 47 jana borreson // Feb 2, 2006 at 2:28 pm

i am looking to purchase soem good spicy boudin and i found this website. can you helpp me with that

• 48 Leah C. // May 5, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Born and raised in Jennings, La. I have eaten my fair share of Boudin King’s boudin. Years ago it was the BEST boudin you could find in the region, but I have found that the quality has slipped a notch or two in the last few years(they seem to have decreased the amount of meat, adding more rice instead). May be just my tastebuds dulling with age??;-) Anyway, I have to agree now that Best Stop has some of the most scrumptious boudin on the planet. They do have some competition though, from a new place in Jennings by the name of Bonin’s Meat Market. This small shop has some great boudin and cracklins, and is perfect for the many times I don’t feel like driving all the way to Best Stop. Will have to try some of these other places mentioned here.

• 49 expressola // Jul 12, 2006 at 9:07 pm

Boudin King does not wholesale, or ship out. Find a contact to go and buy the boudin and ship it for you.

Bonin’s has really come a long ways with their boudin. It is now up there as one of the best. Bonin’s also has excellent cracklins and smoked sausage.

• 50 Aretha // Oct 25, 2006 at 7:54 am

I’m from Opelousas now living in North Carolina and the best boudin is Billy’s Boudin. If you’re ever in Opelousas, you have to try it. Also, cream of mushroom soup is not an odd ingredient in etouffee. We use it all the time. If you don’t like the mushrooms try the cream of shrimp. It gives the etoufee a much better flavor. Also, does anyone have a good recipe for cush-cush?

• 51 RitaJo // Jan 4, 2007 at 9:16 am

My family make a trip about 3 times a year to Jennings to get the boudin from the boudin king. We are from Texas and it a good 3 hour drive but the boudin is worth it

• 52 Nolon // Jan 6, 2007 at 2:14 am

Hey I do hope you still read your comments and what not. Boy do I have an interesting boudin place for you. http://boudinlink.com/Mowata/Mowata.html

Great boudin. You know Boudin King. I wouldn’t ever say it isn’t good. So yes Boudin King still rules. Not a fav. Because there is such a variety and between the difference in mowata and Boudin King. It’s a hard choice.

Mowata boudin is different in that it has meat in it. But it’s hard to explain. You just have to taste it. Extremely good.

In Mamou there is a store or more like in Vidrine near Mamou. It’s on a corner. They serve the best boudin balls I’ve aten. Though the boudin isn’t quite as delicious Imo.

I’ll be reading more of your blogs.

• 53 Greg Boudreaux // Jan 7, 2007 at 8:44 am

Originally from Kaplan, La. (The Most Cajun Place on Earth), now living in Canton, Ohio. Had Best Stop, still prefer “Cajunway Boudin King.” I was just in SW La. and returned with 30lbs. I like how Cajunway packs it vacuum sealed and frozen for travel. Richard’s in Abbeville also does a good Boudin.

• 54 Greg // Mar 6, 2007 at 4:06 pm

Will you please send me a price list. I did not make to LA this year and I would like to order some boudin from the Boudin King.

• 55 Greg Boudreaux // Apr 24, 2007 at 7:36 pm

I always go to the Boudin King in Crowley. I don’t recall the prices but here is their phone number: 337-788-2929. Sorry it took so long to reply but it’s been a while since I checked this site…

• 56 Daniel LeBlanc // Aug 25, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Pastime Restaurant in Baton Rouge makes a KILLER boudin pizza. no tomato sauce, it’s just boudin sans casing spread over the pizza crust, topped with onions, bell pepper, jalapenos, and cheese. oh man i gotta go get one now…

• 57 Nathaniel Johnson // Nov 3, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Hi, Im trying to get some boudin. I was born and raised in jennings and been eating ya’ll boudin since I was a kid. The problem is that I’m in the military and I’m stationed in Korea. I can’t find anybody that will ship it to me. Please let me know if ya’ll ship to overseas location. Thank you! I will send payment via money order ahead of time or any other method you think is suitable.

• 58 Kazaria Williams // Dec 22, 2007 at 11:24 am

Hi I am from Morgan,City La
    but now I live in Atlanta ,Ga and I grew up on boo-dan and would like you to send me a price list by the box,I use to buy my boxes in Centerville La and Franklin La,and I have friends here who loves it,so please get back to me,so I can get it shiped to me,and will it be frozen?and what is the fastest way to get it here thanks.

• 59 Terry // Jan 17, 2008 at 2:50 am

Can I get information on ordering your budin for shipping please. Thanks

• 60 Lori Lyon // Mar 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm

I am responding because of a letter that was on here from 2004 from Chris Leonard correcting Scott on his directions to Strohe’s and his spelling on Welsh and most importantly his spelling of Cormier. One of my dearest friends name is Cormier and her husband is about as cajun as you can get. There are different ways to spell names and none is incorrect!

• 61 Lori Lyon // Mar 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm

• 62 Kanna // Mar 9, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Now, I know y’all from Louisiana have some good boudin. I ordered some COMEAUX, hot ice shipped from CAJUN GROCER-cost me a$$$. It is OK but to me it does not compare to the taste of South Carolina boudin aka puddin’!
    Gotta wait for kinfolk to head down and bring me some.

• 63 Kanna // Mar 9, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Forgot to say it was shipped to BROOKLYN NY..I was craving that taste but my South Khaki sausage company does not ship so Louisiana was my only choice—it just ‘aint made in NYC!!

• 64 vena pourciau-currie // Apr 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Boudin King …I love boudin and can”t wait to taste your version!
    Lots of great reviews and myself born in New Iberia I can’t wait to judge for myself:)
    Please send me the info needed to place an order!!
    Waiting in california,
    Vena Pourciau-Currie

• 65 Stefan Strohe // Apr 23, 2008 at 2:10 am

We are no longer in buisness but thanks for the good reports. We were in buisness for 82 years. I wish all the other boudin makers good luck. We might start again in the future making boudin and sausage once again.

• 66 Dale // May 11, 2008 at 5:51 am

Just returned from JazzFest and made a stop in Scott for fresh crawfish tails (from LA, not China, thank you very much) and Andouille and Boudin from best stop. I really like their boudin but after reading this, I have to go all the way back down there to try Boudin King. Tough life…..

Just finished with fried Boudin patties, coated with beaten egg and an equal part mixture of rice flour, semolina and seasoned flour, (yeah, I know…that comes from that Michael fellow out in CA, but it is good!) served with a white remoulade sauce. I can feel my arteries hardening as I speak…but oh, it was lovely.

Montana is not exactly an outpost of LA cooking but I am trying like hell!!!!

• 67 Kieshan counts // Aug 17, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I was born and raised in Jennings. I joined the Navy at 17, and I would love to get some Boudin shipped to me. That is by far the only food I miss with a passion. I never knew how good it was until I could not get it anymore. I just thought it was like burger king and there was Boudin King everywhere. Boy was I wrong. Please let me know how to get 30 lbs or more shipped to me.

• 68 Felicia // Dec 31, 2008 at 5:20 pm

I just left LA and tried boudin for the first time. I would love to have some of that shipped to me. Is this possible? I will gladly pay to have 25 lbs or more shipped. Please contact me soon.

• 69 Julie Hadley // Oct 27, 2009 at 1:00 pm

My family has their reunions in Jennings every year and of course a trip to Jennings is not complete without first going to Boudin King. I can not remember a year that we have not gone and brought back a cooler full for our clan in and around the Houston area. For my family there is none better than Boudin King. We will never go anywhere else!